Linux installation to ISO and back ...

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Thu Dec 16 20:35:47 UTC 2004

Date sent:      	Thu, 16 Dec 2004 14:29:53 +0100
From:           	Davor Herga <davor.herga at guest.arnes.si>
To:             	fedora-list at redhat.com
Subject:        	Linux installation to ISO and back ...
Send reply to:  	For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
	<mailto:fedora-list-request at redhat.com?subject=subscribe>

> Hello!
>
> Haven't tried that yet, so anyone did it yet?
>
> I was thinking to back up the whole Linux installation to ISO and then
> put it on another disk on the same machine.
> Is that possible at all?
>
> If not, is there some sort of tool like Symantec Ghost which would work
> for Linux?
I've gotten ghost to work with FC3, but not exactly sure what
changed got it to work. I think it was probable doing a shutdown -r -F
now , and then it failed, and I log in with root id, and run fsck
manually. Then ghost wouldn't get the the sector not found error.

Other options include using G4U, Ghost for Unix, which is a BSD
boot diskette that uploads images to an ftp server using DD and
Gzip. It worked fine with the problem with ghost. Make sure to clear
unused space thou. I did an FC3 install with everything option, and
the fist image was about 12GB from my 80GB drive. I then zeroed
out the unused space, and redid the image, and it was 2.5GB.

The is also a G4L program, which is ghost for linux. There is a
dispute over it being a copy of G4U, but the current version looks
nothing like the G4U, single 2000 line script verus separate scripts
to upload and slurp disk and partitions by G4U. The G4U site shows
an earlier version of g4l, that seems to be a close copy, but I'm not
sure that and the current one are related. The G4L has a lot more in
the script, and also supports bzip2 compression.

I've used G4U and G4L to make images and restore them, and they
take about the same time, and produce about the same image size.
Perhaps even the exact images if you do both with gzip, but I would
have to do an image with one, and then the other to be sure.

G4U version 2 is now a two disk boot up, but the older version is
availabe as a CD image, and is also included on the ultimate boot
CD. The G4L is a CD only image. Note: to use it, you have to give
anonymous write access to the an img directory. G4U uses DHCP,
but G4L you do things thru the script.

Both G4U and G4L are free. They don't let you resize the images,
so you need to use the same size drives or larger to restore the
images.