CD burning problem

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Sat Dec 18 20:50:07 UTC 2004

On Sat, Dec 18, 2004 at 02:27:04PM +0100, Jim Dishaw (dishawjp) wrote:
> Oops,
>
> It was late last night when I initially posted, and I realize now that the command line was incorrect.  However even fixing that error still gives me errors and no burn.  The output is as follows:
>
> [dishawjp at eunix ~]$ cdrecord -v -eject speed=8 -dev=/dev/cdwriter /home/dishawjp/docs
> cdrecord: No write mode specified.
> cdrecord: Asuming -tao mode.
> cdrecord: Future versions of cdrecord may have different drive dependent defaults.
> cdrecord: Continuing in 5 seconds...
> Cdrecord-Clone 2.01-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 J??rg Schilling
> Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD support
> Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.
> Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla
> Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in this version.
> TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
> cdrecord: Cannot allocate memory. WARNING: Cannot do mlockall(2).
> cdrecord: WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.
> cdrecord: Operation not permitted. WARNING: Cannot set RR-scheduler
> cdrecord: Permission denied. WARNING: Cannot set priority using setpriority().
> cdrecord: WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.
> scsidev: '/dev/cdwriter'
> devname: '/dev/cdwriter'
> scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
> Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
> Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
> cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial libscg transport code version (schily - Red Hat-scsi-linux-sg.c-1.83-RH '@(#)scsi-linux-sg.c        1.83 04/05/20 Copyright 1997 J. Schilling').
> SCSI buffer size: 64512
> atapi: 1
> Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
> Version        : 0
> Response Format: 1
> Vendor_info    : 'MSI     '
> Identifikation : 'CD-RW M$-8348   '
> Revision       : '120D'
> Device seems to be: Generic mmc CD-RW.
> Current: 0x0009
> Profile: 0x0008
> Profile: 0x0009 (current)
> Profile: 0x000A
> Using generic SCSI-3/mmc   CD-R/CD-RW driver (mmc_cdr).
> Driver flags   : MMC-2 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
> Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R RAW/R16 RAW/R96P RAW/R96R
> Drive buf size : 1806336 = 1764 KB
>
> And then it just hangs and nothing happens.
>
> Any thoughts now that I've corrected one of my mistakes?

I still can't understand why people insist on using cdrecord to write
to CD-s instead of xcdroast or k3d. It just makes ones life more
complicated.

"I say we take off; nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure."
- Corporal Hicks, in "Aliens"
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University