Apache directive - require valid-user

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Dec 19 02:39:58 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-12-18 at 15:16 -0700, Brian Richardson wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> > Is there a way to just have it require a valid user to the system
> > (i.e. /etc/passwd or getent passwd) without creating a separate user
> > file on disk? I can't seem to get around this.
>
> A quick google for "authenticate apache server with pam" turned up this
> link, which is probably what you're looking for:
>
> mod_auth_external http://www.unixpapa.com/mod_auth_external.html
---
looks interesting but I think that mod_authz_ldap is actually what I
want to use but I still can't seem to make it work. It never asks for a
login, nothing is logged in 'debug' mode and I know for certain that the
module is loading.

#cat /etc/httpd/conf.d/authz_ldap.conf

LoadModule authz_ldap_module modules/mod_authz_ldap.so

<IfModule mod_authz_ldap.c>

   <Location /var/www/html/phpldapadmin>
      AuthzLDAPEngine on
      AuthzLDAPServer srv1.tobyhouse.com
      AuthzLDAPUserBase ou=People,dc=tobyhouse,dc=com
      AuthzLDAPUserKey uid
      AuthzLDAPUserScope base
      AuthzLDAPBindDN         removed
      AuthzLDAPBindPassword   removed
      AuthType Basic
      AuthName "AuthzLDAP"
      require valid-user
   </Location>

</IfModule>

Anyone successfully using the mod_authz_ldap module?

Craig