new fedora core3 installation

Mike Klinke lsomike at futzin.com
Sun Dec 26 17:44:49 UTC 2004

On Sunday 26 December 2004 11:10, cfk wrote:

>  I seem to have fubar'ed the display settings as I get a bunch of
> vertical lines after the KDE window manager boots. The system
> displays correctly during some boot screens, somewhat
> inconsistently. For instance, I was able to fill out the
> firstboot screens including setting the display to 1600x1200 and
> "thousands of colors" (16bit).

The i810 video driver is broken with the original FC3 distribution
but the latest xorg packages have gone some distance to fixing the
problems.  After you boot up in run level 3 update your system with
the latest xorg packages and it may fix your problems.  One
work-around for many of us with the original FC3 driver is to add
to the driver section of /etc/X11/xorg.conf the following line:

  Option "noaccel"

>  I suspect that I merely need to incantate inside the XF86-config
> file, but I cannot seem to get a terminal window without X.
> Alt-Ctrl-F1 doesnt work anymore on this particular system, and I
> dont remember how to tell grub how to boot to run level 1 or 3.

At the grub selection screen press the letter "e", navigate to the
kernel line and press the "e" again, append the number "3" to the
end of the line to enter runlevel 3.

There is quite a bit about this problem in both the archives of this
list, the fedora-test list and bugzilla.

Regards, Mike Klinke