Can fedora write-mounted NTFS partitions be SMB shared for write?

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Mon Dec 27 16:39:24 UTC 2004

Just say no to NTFS writing.

There is no advantage using NTFS for an SMB/CIFS share.

If you want to share data on both operating systems setup
a FAT32 partition in Windows 2000 and mount it under linux
as 'vfat'. The only time this does not work is when the files
need to be larger than 4GB or you need the partition to be
larger than 32GB.

I use FAT32 on external USB2/Firewire Drives in order to share
the data between; Linux, FreeBSD, Win98+ and MacOS 8+. This
works well. I have a small case with a 40GB laptop drive and
have setup a 32GB partition for Music and the rest as a data
shuttle, so I can take my entire music collection with me. I
also have a couple of large external drives with NTFS but only
mount them read-only on Linux and FreeBSD when I need to move
files larger than 4GB from the WinNT+ machines.

Alternatively for a dual boot system you might want to look
around for some programs that allow you to transfer files to
and from an ext2 partition under windows.

Good Luck