Anaconda crashes

MIke mjwestkamper at weiinc.com
Sun Feb 1 17:47:59 UTC 2004

I am trying to put Fedora on my IBM laptop. I have a 10gb hdd and 84 mb
dram. Windows 98SE is installed on a 2GB partition. The rest is
unpartitioned.

When I try to install Fedora, using a floppy to start and the embedded
CD to continue, all is well until I finish with the software selection
then the following appears in a pop-up

----------------------------------

traceback(most recent call Last);
File "/usr/lib/anaconda/gui-py", Line 786 , inhandleRenderCallback
self.currentWindow.renderCallback()
File "/usr/lib/anaconda/iw/progress-gui.py", Line 149 , inrenderCallback
self.intf.icw.nextClicked()
File "/usr/lib/anaconda/gui.py",Line 632 , innext Clicked
self.dispatch.gotoNext()
File "/usr/lib/anaconda/dispatch.py", Line 150 , ingotoNext
self.moveStep()
File "/usr/lib/anaconda/dispatch.py", Line 215 , inmovestep
rc=apply(func,self.bindArgs(args))
File "/usr/lib/anaconda/packages.py", Line 430 , in turnOnFilesystems
Partitions.doMetaDeletes(diskset)
File "/usr/lib/anaconda/partitions.py", Line 1110 , indoMetaDeletes
(vm.vgactivate())
File "/usr/lib/anaconda/iutil.py",
Line 66 , in execWithRedirect
childpid = os.fork()

OSError[errno 12] cannot allocate memory

I have installed Fedora on a mini server,
(90 mb dram, 8 GB hdd and a 66 MHz P3) and it runs fine
so the problem does not seem to be resources.

Any direction will be greatly appreciated.

Mike