Memory Consumption

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Sun Feb 1 18:39:06 UTC 2004

On Sun, Feb 01, 2004 at 07:19:13PM +0100, Julien Tane wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can anyone tell me what in my computer  takes so much RAM?
>             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
> Mem:        514592     390860     123732          0      23684     215796
> -/+ buffers/cache:     151380     363212                ^^^^^^     ^^^^^^
> Swap:      1020088          0    1020088

You asked:

> So where are the 200M  missing memory ?
>
> Can you give me a hint?

Yes, look at the "cached" and "buffers" lines in your posting above.
Those two total to  around 235-240 megabytes.

This is NORMAL. Linux does this ON PURPOSE. you've got all that RAM sitting
there that would otherwise be DOING NOTHING, so the kernel puts it to use
providing perfomance-enhancing buffering and caching. These things can be
quickly freed if necessary, in case some program suddenly demands additional
RAM, so it's not like it's a problem.
                     all ages, now and forevermore! Amen."