FTP Server

Jason Dixon jason at dixongroup.net
Sun Feb 1 19:47:26 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-02-01 at 14:22, Joel Jaeggli wrote:
> The biggest issue being that if you have to pass authentication
> credentials securely ftp isn't very good... wrappering it in ssl is an
> improvement but client support isn't really there...
>
> The real reason ftp still exists is anonymous file access. in that context
> what's important is that someone not be able to root the box through the
> ftp server, hog resources, or fill directories up with warez...

I've actually been pondering why most folks haven't simply replaced
anonymous FTP with HTTP.  The transmission advantages of days yore
simply don't matter with broadband.  I know there are exceptions where
folks need certain features, but for the bulk of exposed anon-ftp
servers out there, FTP just isn't necessary.

Just my $0.02.

--
Jason Dixon, RHCE
DixonGroup Consulting