newbie PS1 config question

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Mon Feb 2 10:03:30 UTC 2004

Am Mo, den 02.02.2004 schrieb Ko Pu um 02:24:
> >>Add a line to the file /etc/sysconfig/network of the following type:
> >>HOSTNAME=myserver.mydomain.net
> >>
> >>The change will take place on reboot, but you can apply it manually with
> >># hostname myserver.mydomain.net
> >>

> If I change the hostname, will it cause problem when I connect to internet
> through DSL? right now my hostname is the ip address assigned by the dsl
> provider, using their domain name, once I change it, will I still be able to
> connect?
>
> Thanks in advance for your comment/suggestion
>
> Ko Fei Pu

No, it is irrelevant for your DSL connection how you personally call
your computer. So change the HOSTNAME to what you like. It is only
needed that you set up your network configuration properly.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl
Sirendipity 11:02:04 up 2 days, 10:02, load average: 0.02, 0.16, 0.17
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]