newbie PS1 config question

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Mon Feb 2 10:09:30 UTC 2004

Am Mo, den 02.02.2004 schrieb Ko Pu um 02:18:
> >Have you set up your hostname in /etc/hostname
> >
> >if you haven't donw so you can do it by emitting the following command
> >
> >#echo your hostname > /etc/hostname
>
> Yes, I did it, but it still shows the ip address and I went to the hostname
> file in /etc, it showed AMD_FC1, is there anywhere else that I need to
> change?
>
> Thanks in advance for your comment/suggestion
>
> Ko Fei Pu

1) be sure to not be in graphical mode:
init 3
now X server is off and you are on the text mode console

2) change the entry HOSTNAME in /etc/sysconfig/network to what you like,
i.e. workstation or with FQDN workstation.home.lan

3) edit /etc/hosts and modify the line with your private (LAN) IP to
something like:
192.168.0.5    workstation.home.lan    workstation
If you have a fix IP by your DSL provider the hosts file may reflect
that and you can add that to /etc/hosts too

4) service network restart

5) now your new hostname should be assigned, if unsure reboot

6) init 5
you get back into graphical X server mode

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl
Sirendipity 11:03:32 up 2 days, 10:03, load average: 0.39, 0.22, 0.19
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]