lilo on promise's PDC20267 raid controller

Dariusz Zmokly globi at graff.pl
Mon Feb 2 11:47:09 UTC 2004

Hi!

I installed Fedora and everything works fine except lilo. When I want to
install new kernel and type 'lilo' I see

[root at godoko bezu]# lilo
Fatal: Sorry, don't know how to handle device 0x7201

So I have to move one of hdd disks to another computer without the Promise's
controler, install new lilo configuration on that box, then move this hdd
back to the first box.

I read somewhere that it may be caused by old version of lilo (mine is 21.4.4)
so I downloaded latest one: lilo-22.5.8.tar.gz. It isn't documented very well
so I just typed './QuickInst' and got:

"QuickInst configures LILO and installs it on your hard disk. It should only
be used for first-time installations, _not_ to update or modify an existing
installation of LILO. It will _not_ generate a valid installation with
versions of LILO below 22."

Hmm, I am not sure what to do. I could try install this lilo version by hand
but this could be very bad idea. Could you give me some guidance?

Thank you ;)
Dariusz Zmokly