Stupid Newbie

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Feb 2 13:24:34 UTC 2004

Hi All

I have been using Redhat 9 for about four months, I am really proficient
at starting up and shutting down.
About 4 weeks ago I upgraded/Loaded Fedora and have had some problems
some of which I have solved and some are still outstanding.

Having said all of that I did a really, really stupid thing today, when
I installed Fedora I had a few error messages but pushed on through the
installation regardless, so I thought it would be a good idea (here
comes the stupid bit) to delete the system on the Red Hat site, then
delete /etc/sysconfig/rhn/systemid re register the system.

Oh dear a little knowledge is dangerous, now my up2date says " This
system may not be updated until it is associated with a channel." or
"the applet has been unable to access the following information sources
in its last attempts: fedora-core-1 @
http://fedora.redhat.com/releases/fedora-core-1, updates-released @
http://fedora.redhat.com/updates/released/fedora-core-1"

However when I try to associate with a channel on Redhats site the
website will net let me (possibly I'm doing something wrong).

Can anyone help me "please, please, pretty please" keep in mind that I
am a complete idiot and will need total hand holding (ie. click on this,
then this or type this, then this)

I hope someone will be kind enough to help as at the moment my laptop
cannot now auto update.

Thank you

Regards

Peter Cannon