Stupid Newbie

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Feb 2 14:32:41 UTC 2004

Hi Greg

On Mon, 2004-02-02 at 13:56, Greg wrote:

> If I understand correctly you migrated a server from RH9 to Fedora via
> an upgrade.

Er, I have a DELL laptop 30GB HDD dual boot 8GB Windows98 (Like a new
swimmer can't let go of the float yet) I  have/had redhat 9 installed,
the Fedora disk asked me if this is what I wanted to upgrade so I
assumed yes? however this is another area of concern as the GUI package
management on my HDD seems to relate to the Redhat9 installations while
if I pop the Fedora disk 1 in then I get a different rpm list (good
eh?).

> When you do that the up2date channel you were using for RH9 wont be
> usable in Fedora anyhow. Once your using Fedora you need to update some
> configuration files to make things happy again.

I guessed that, however up2date worked fine (under Fedora) until 10:00am
today when I decided to be a smart Alec and mess around with the
program. (I should point out I did this once before under RH9 without
any problems).

> this unnoficial faq will answer your question
> http://fedora.artoo.net/faq
>
> If that doesnt work you can always rpm -e --nopdeps up2date then rpm
> -ivh up2date (you will need a fedora cd for the install). That will
> uninstall the old stuff and should reinstall the up2date software,
> directories and config files. Then try the faq again.

This looks impressive. Er your going to hate me I have installed some
3rd party apps and have some stuff which I had to do ./configure make
make install but failed on the make install, will the above get rid of
this rubbish or should I just leave alone?

> -Greg
>

> On Mon, 2004-02-02 at 07:24, Peter Cannon wrote:
> > Hi All
> >
> > I have been using Redhat 9 for about four months, I am really
> > proficient at starting up and shutting down.
> > About 4 weeks ago I upgraded/Loaded Fedora and have had some problems
> > some of which I have solved and some are still outstanding.
> >
> > Having said all of that I did a really, really stupid thing today,
> > when I installed Fedora I had a few error messages but pushed on
> > through the installation regardless, so I thought it would be a good
> > idea (here comes the stupid bit) to delete the system on the Red Hat
> > site, then delete /etc/sysconfig/rhn/systemid re register the system.
> >
> > Oh dear a little knowledge is dangerous, now my up2date says " This
> > system may not be updated until it is associated with a channel." or
> > "the applet has been unable to access the following information
> > sources in its last attempts: fedora-core-1 @
> > http://fedora.redhat.com/releases/fedora-core-1, updates-released @
> > http://fedora.redhat.com/updates/released/fedora-core-1"
> >
> > However when I try to associate with a channel on Redhats site the
> > website will net let me (possibly I'm doing something wrong).
> >
> > Can anyone help me "please, please, pretty please" keep in mind that I
> > am a complete idiot and will need total hand holding (ie. click on
> > this, then this or type this, then this)
> >
> > I hope someone will be kind enough to help as at the moment my laptop
> > cannot now auto update.
> >
> > Thank you
> > Regards
> >
> > Peter Cannon