CUPS, samba, and Epson C80

Robert Marcano robert at marcanoonline.com
Mon Feb 2 20:26:58 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-02-02 at 15:54, David Miller wrote:
> Hello
>
> I recently "upgraded" from RedHat 9 to Fedora.
> I have always used lprng.  I was very disapointed to find that it was
> removed.
>
> I have tried to share the printers that I have on my linux box.  I have
> 4 windows machines that use my printers.  I have an Hp dj600 and an
> Epson C80 on the linux box.
> I have never had any problems shareing them with lprng and samba.
>
> After installing Fedora I learned that I had to use CUPS.  I could make
> my printers work on the linux machine but the windows machines could not
> print.  They would show up in windows explorier but not in the list when
> you would add a network printer.  Nothing I tried seamed to work until I
> ran across a posting via a web search that indicated a problem in samba
> 3.0 and it worked with an earlier version of samba. I uninstalled samba
> and downloaded the samba rpms for samba-2.2.7-5.8.0.  I think the samba
> files used in RedHat 8.0.
>
> Now my HP works fine.
> On the windows machines, when you say add printer and select network and
> browse you see both printers and installs for both seam to work. The
> Epson still won't print.
> In printer configuration both printers are shared. Both work on the
> linux box.

Try adding the printing variable to the global section:

printing = cups

>From the smb.conf man page

"printing (S)
              This parameters  controls  how  printer  status
information is interpreted  on  your system. It also affects the default
values for the print command, lpq command, lppause command, lpresume
command, and lprm command if specified in the [global] section."

you need to use both "printcap" and "printing"