voice recognition software on fedora?

James Drabb JDrabb at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Feb 3 03:15:18 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-02-02 at 12:40, Joe Klemmer wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-02-02 at 07:04, Colin Charles wrote:
>
> > Last I checked, ViaVoice isn't free,
>
> 	No, it isn't.  But that's not an issue.
>
> > and doesn't work on FC1 (or newer linuxes). Library issues.
>
> 	Would the LD_PRELOAD (or whatever it is) work?  I can't test it out yet
> anyway 'cause, as I said, no mic.

You could try LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.1.  I have a similar app that doesn't
run under the FC1 kernels.  It is a proprietary VPN client for Linux
called netlock.  It runs perfectly under RH 8/9.  I am not sure what
changed in the FC1 kernels that stops it from running.  I went to Red
Hat's site and downloaded the latest RH9 kernel and it now runs great
under FC1 with the RH9 kernel.  I have both kernels installed and reboot
into the RH9 kernel if I need to VPN into my work.  It is not the best
solution, though it does work fine.  Maybe try a kernel from RH9?

Jim Drabb
The box said: "Requires Windows 98/2000/NT/XP or better."
So, I installed LINUX!
James Drabb JR
Senior Programmer Analyst
Davenport, FL USA