SSH Display Problem

Mike Chepesky pesky1229 at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 3 04:29:56 UTC 2004

I have a problem relating to SSH and how it handles the creation of new
xterm windows. I have an account at my school, and I can log in via SSH
using "ssh -l login_name server_name". When in the labs on campus, there is
an X Windows environment, and when certain programs are run (e.g. Matlab,
emacs), another xterm window will be created.

However, when I log in remotely using the above command, and run "matlab" or
"emacs", the system just seems to hang, not creating a new xterm window. I
looked around for a solution, and it seemed that it might be in the
/etc/ssh/ssh_config file. However, this is read-only and cannot be modified,
nor can the permissions be changed using chmod. Any suggestions?

Mike