If apt-get crash

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Tue Feb 3 09:10:29 UTC 2004

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Sturla Holm Hansen wrote:

> Hi, just had a wonderful experience with apt-get while running a
> dist-upgrade....
> It crashed after installing a couple of hundred packages, leaving my
> system with dual installs of those packages.

Urgh.. that sounds seriously ugly: if you end up with dual installs of
packages it basically means that rpm post% failed for each of those. While
an occasional %post failures do happen due to bad scriptlets and such it's
not a healthy sign if hundreds of packages are failing that way.

> What I had to do was manually remove all the packages not needed, or at
> least that was what i ended up doing.
> Just wondered if anyone has a better solution for this, is there a tool
> for checking for dual installs and removing the lowest version?

I don't think such a tool exists but wouldn't be hard to write with
rpm-python bindings..

	- Panu -