System lockup with SMP Kernel.

Paul Furness paul.furness at vil.ite.mee.com
Tue Feb 3 11:01:46 UTC 2004

Hello.

Yeah, I've got this happening, and I think it's something to do with
cron or similar. I'm running a workstation and if I leave it on
overnight, it is always locked up in the morning. But it also happens
sometimes during the day, while I'm working on it, and the important
thing I noticed is that when the desktop freezes, the clock always reads
zero seconds - eg today it locked hard at 10:49:00. This suggests a
scheduler (like cron) causing the problem.

I'm not quite clear on why it should only affect the smp, though. I'm
gonna try recompiling the kernel (minimising what I don't need) and see
if that makes any difference.

It might also be instructive to stop cron for 24 hours and see if the
thing still hangs.

Paul.