need help

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Tue Feb 3 15:08:48 UTC 2004

Am Di, den 03.02.2004 schrieb Manuel Portillo um 15:54:
> Hi there,
>
> Can any of you out there help me learn how I can install new packages.
> I downloaded some utilities and I don't know where to put them before I
> run the rpm installation tool.  When I did try to install various
> packages I got a message saying it could not find a man page.
>
> I am very new to Linux, as you can see.
>
> Thank you so much for your help.
>
> Manuel Portillo
> Sinfronteras at Comcast.net

Put files where you like to store them. Run as root "rpm -Uvh
package.rpm" which will upgrade to the new version or install if not
installed before. Just read "man rpm" and "rpm --help" for more details.

As a beginner you should read documentation in general like

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/

If you have a specific problem it is wise to post exact error message
you get. You will get less general answers.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl
Sirendipity 16:06:06 up 3 days, 15:06, load average: 0.82, 0.31, 0.15
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]