SSH Display Problem

Stephen Walton stephen.walton at csun.edu
Tue Feb 3 19:32:15 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 10:45, Gunnar vS Kramm wrote:
> Original e-mail from: Mike Chepesky (pesky1229 at hotmail.com):
>
> > I have a problem relating to SSH and how it handles the creation of new
> > xterm windows.
> It might be that the admins of you server on campus have configured sshd to
> not allow X11 forwarding.

If that were the case, the original poster would get an immediate "No
DISPLAY Environment variable" error when starting an X-only application,
and MATLAB would fall back to its text interface.

The problem is speed.  Even on a direct 100baseT link, MATLAB takes a
long time to start via X forwarding.  I'd suggest using VNC and running
MATLAB inside it.  It is much faster, especially the version 4 beta from
realvnc.com which FC1 ships with.

--
Stephen Walton <stephen.walton at csun.edu>
Dept. of Physics & Astronomy, Cal State Northridge