System lockup with SMP Kernel.

WipeOut wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Feb 4 10:02:23 UTC 2004

Paul Furness wrote:

>This may or nay not have a bearing here: I left cron and anacron stopped
>overnight, and for the first time since the install (about 10 days ago)
>the system worked overnight. I'll leave it going for another 24 hours
>and if it _still_ works I'll add a comment to bugzilla.
>
>If it is something triggered by cron, it'll take a while to track down
>exactly what - I can run each of the cron.daily scripts from the command
>prompt without a problem.
>
>Hmm. I wonder if it's something to do with an anacron-triggered job
>running after the disks have spun down due to inactivity?
>
>That's something that doesn't happen on server builds, I think.
>
>P.

I don't think its to do with anacron because people have mentioned
leaving SMP systems running overnight to find they had locked up
sometime during the night which would indicate the cron had run..

An easy way to test would be to ( in 24 hours time when you test is
finished ) start cron and leave anacron stopped and see if the system is
still running the following morning.. Then do the opposite the next day..

Don't you hate how time consuming tracking a fault cane be.. :)

I honestly don't think its cron (or anacron) itself, I think it is
something that is being run by cron or anacron that screws up a system
with X or Gnome or some other app installed..

Later..