User Linux

Paul Thomas paul at tmsl.demon.co.uk
Wed Feb 4 14:26:58 UTC 2004

On 04/02/2004 04:26 James Drabb wrote:
> [snip]
> Also, RH no longer has a Linux available that is cost effective compared
> to MS.  You can get MS Windows XP home for $99, while Red Hat
> Professional Workstation is around $110.  MS Windows XP Pro is cheaper
> then RHEL WS.  This pricing point is actually hurting Linux.

I noticed a new RedHat Profesional Workstation
(http://www.redhat.com/mktg/rhpw/) yesterday on RH's site. You seem to be
able to WinXP a lot cheaper than we can here in the UK. Amazon UK quote
GBP160 for XP Home (thats about $240!). That compares to Suse 9.0
Professional and GBP46. RH PW hasn't made it onto Amazon's UK site yet but
is quoted at $89.99 on Amazon.com.

> More
> home-users, IT manager, etc are familiar with MS then with Linux.  If
> they look at trying a switch to Linux and see that it now COSTS MORE,
> most will not make the switch.

Good point.

--
Paul Thomas