ATA Raid

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Wed Feb 4 15:05:09 UTC 2004

Am Mi, den 04.02.2004 schrieb Matthias Saou um 15:55:

[ snip ]

> My advice is clearly to stay away from all that ATA RAID cr*p when there's
> "Promise" written on it. Either just use the second disk for regular or
> occasional backups, or use software raid, which is much more reliable in my
> experience and very easy to set up and monitor, especially since mdadm came
> along.
>
> Matthias

I can subscribe Matthias's advice and experience with no restrictions.

Those "fake" RAID controllers by Promise have a poor performance -
either with the Promise non-opensource driver as with the kernel driver
module - and are critical in case of damaged RAID arrays. On systems you
can only access remotely the cause you nothing but pain.

Use the controller only for normal ATA connection of harddrives and run
software raid.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl
Sirendipity 16:00:58 up 4 days, 15:01, load average: 1.27, 1.19, 1.22
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]