ATA Raid

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Wed Feb 4 16:09:40 UTC 2004

At 09:38 2/4/2004, you wrote:
>I'm hoping that a real
>RAID chipset mobo exists so I don't have to fork over lots of $$$ for a
>RAIDCORE, 3WARE, or ADAPTEC controller.

First off, my experience with software RAID (both 0 and 1) under Linux has
been excellent, although I've as yet suffered no failures. However, I
suggest forking over the cash for a 3Ware adapter, they're not that
expensive. I went all out and got a 12-drive card for $560, but they have
two- and four-drive cards that are darn cheap. And they are "real" hardware
RAID, with excellent performance and other RAID modes (5, 10, etc.)
available to boot. Plus, the kernel module is open-source and included
since God-knows-when in the mainstream kernels, so you need to do NOTHING
to make it work... it just works.

What's not to love?

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz