Any free vpn clients

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at web.de
Wed Feb 4 16:31:29 UTC 2004

http://www.schneier.com/paper-pptp.html
http://www.schneier.com/pptp.html
http://mopo.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/pptp_mschapv2/

> If my ISP is running a PPTP server will FreeS/WAN or OpenVPN even work at all?

Why would your ISP run a VPN server? I know that some ISPs, mainly in
Austria use PPTP for internet access, but there it's ok, for you don't
need the privacy you want are expecting from a VPN.

Windows 2000 and XP can handle IPsec, so you can connect with FreeS/WAN.
OpenVPN is also available for Windoze 2k/XK, but not for Win9x.

So the only situation PPTP really is needed (if it is needed at all) are
Win98 computers.

Christoph

P.S.:
FreeS/Wan RPMs are available at the http://freeswan.org,
FreeS/WAN w. x509 patch is at http://www.freeswan.ca (they have tarballs
but a specfile is included),
For SuperFreeS/WAN there are source RPMs at
http://tis.foobar.fi/software/
OpenVPM for FC1 can be found in Dag Wieers repo.