My kingdom for a working DNS

Brian Fahrlander Brian at fahrlander.net
Wed Feb 4 20:08:55 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-02-04 at 12:06 -0800, Alberto Molteni wrote:

> So, sing loud sing proud, I was already half way to
> the moon when... catastrophe arrived disguised as a
> malfunctioning DNS system.
>
> What happens is this: all internet-based applications
> work perfectly so long as I use IP addresses, but when
> I dare to use a domain name, or just even click on an
> absolute href link, the whole system falls to pieces.
> Every single program reports Host unavailable/not
> found. For example: launching Mozilla and typing
> 66.187.232.50 in the location bar will bring up RedHat
> Home Page, but www.redhat.com will result in a quite
> inelegant error message. I even tried this: "ping
> 66.132.146.48" (WinMX site) works, but "ping
> www.winmx.com" doesn't.
>
> Any suggestions?

    Yep.  First make sure /etc/resolv.conf is pointing to the
nameservers you want to use.  They can be anything legal; asking a
working server for a name will lookup things that are missing. When you
get more settled, this should either be your DNS server, or the one from
your ISP.

    Second, make sure your desired DNS box is set up properly. For this,
I'd suggest using someone else's first, then your own.

    And if you have "12.0.0.1" or "localhost.localdomain" or similar in
resolv.conf, remove it: you may not have a caching-style dns. Keep
things simple to get the functionality, THEN improve it to make it
easier on all those involved. (Including yourself)

    Enjoy!

Brian Fahrländer                 Researcher, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                     http://Fahrlander.net
ICQ  5119262