Good Yum Archives

Bevan C. Bennett bevan at fulcrummicro.com
Wed Feb 4 21:41:11 UTC 2004

Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> The people who own the MP3 patent have chosen to charge royalties for
> it, and many (most?) countries have patent and intellectual property
> laws that allow for the enforcement of such decisions. If you disagree
> with their decision, take it up with them; if you disagree with the
> laws, work to have them changed.
 >
> Until and unless that happens, though, for xmms or other GPL players to
> include MP3 support out-of-the-box would be illegal, and I thank them
> and Red Hat for behaving honorably and lawfully instead of finding a way
> around the issue.

For the record, I did not mean to imply that I in any way encourage
people to ignore or flaunt the laws of their place of residence, or have
any specific issues with the Fraunhofer institute.

I was merely trying to supply a brief answer to the OPs question of "Why
are all the alternate repositories in non-US countries".
Your answer is much more complete.