kde 3.2 unhappy: kde messed up my menues in gnome!

Paul unix at bikesn4x4s.com
Thu Feb 5 15:07:00 UTC 2004

> On Thu, 2004-02-05 at 14:11, dsyates wrote:
>> I am a long time gnome user; i just don't like kde. But, in a  momentary
>> lapse of reason, I installed the latest and greatest official kde 3.2
>> fedora rpms. It was an update actually, as I had kde already installed,
>> although I had not run kde since installing fc1. Anyway, I installed the
>> rpms without incident. I tried kde and decided I still didn't like it
>> and went back to gnome. Now, I find that kde (or fc1) has added a every
>> single xscreensaver module to my system tools:more system tools menu.
>
> For what is worth the same happened to me when I went back to Gnome
> after trying KDE 3.2.
>
> I don't have much of a problem with KDE in general, but for some reason,
> version 3.2 is extremely slow (menus take many seconds to open) in my P4
> 1.9Ghz with 640 MB of RAM laptop. I'm using FC1 with the 2.6.1-1-65
> kernel. I found this interesting because I heard so many reports that
> KDE 3.2 is much faster than 3.1. I guess there must be something in my
> configuration that is causing the problems.
>

>> Anyone have any idea how to remove theses menu entries? I know there are
>> supposed work arounds for editing the menus in gnome, but they have
>> their own "side effects". I wish instaling kde wouldnt have messed with
>> my gnome menus in the first place. I hate kde even more now:-)
>
> I'm not expert, but I found the following link that has some information
> on the subject.
>
> http://phantom.byu.edu/pipermail/newbies/2003-May/000211.html
>
> It apparently refers to Gnome 2.2, so I dunno if it is still relevant.
>
> Hope it helps,
> Ismael

I had the same thing happen.  I thought it was upgrading to Fedora, but
maybe it was after trying KDE after upgrading to Fedore.  I too have tried
KDE a few times in the past, only to go back to GNOME.  KDE is a memory
hog and slow, and also gives strange errors.  Maybe there will be a fix
for all this soon.