Any suggestion of buy a wireless pci card?

esm at logic.net esm at logic.net
Thu Feb 5 16:18:46 UTC 2004

On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 06:46:03PM +1100, Richy wrote:
> So, it seems that I need a wireless access point with ADSL and a
> wireless pci card. Is there any suggestion about purchase a wireless pci
> card for my fedora? I usually find buy a hardware for linux need more
> attention.

I'm working on getting a set of prism54 cards working right now, and my
best suggestion to you is to avoid 802.11g 54Mbps cards in the short term,
unless you're comfortable with wireless configuration under Linux already.
It works (www.prism54.org is the place to look for supported cards using
this chipset, and for bare-bones information on getting things going), but
it's not pleasant.

To be fair, getting the SMC PCI card in my FC1-based router working was
simple enough after updating to Arjan's 2.6 kernels, although I bumped
into a few firmware loading problems because of some hotplug tricks being
played in /etc/init.d/network and elsewhere. It's the Netgear PCMCIA card
in my laptop (running the same configuration) that's been giving me fits
lately. ;-)

--
Edward S. Marshall <esm at logic.net>
http://esm.logic.net/

Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.