Any suggestion of buy a wireless pci card?

M.Hockings veeshooter at hockings.net
Thu Feb 5 16:26:36 UTC 2004

frank at franklipski.com wrote:

>I use the orinoco Gold card for my laptop, and a usb ethernet adapter for
>my Desktop.  (not sure of the brand right now, but it is blue in color)
>
>I also use the smc wireless barricade as a router.
>
>All are easily found online to purchase, and work great under linux.
>
>Frank
>

>>On Thu, 2004-02-05 at 02:46, Richy wrote:
>>

>>>I plan to use wireless network with my Fedora Core 1 at home. I got two
>>>PC in my home, one used by my wife is a laptop with winxp, the other
>>>desktop with fedora used by myself. I want to install a wireless LAN in
>>>my home and connect to internet by ADSL.
>>>
>>>So, it seems that I need a wireless access point with ADSL and a
>>>wireless pci card. Is there any suggestion about purchase a wireless pci
>>>card for my fedora? I usually find buy a hardware for linux need more
>>>attention.
>>>

>>Search the archives, search google.  Use what others have used.  Orinoco
>>cards are very popular, I like the old prism2 cards and their HostAP
>>features.  Find a chipset that's well supported, then with the range
>>you'll need.
>>
>>--
>>Jason Dixon, RHCE
>>DixonGroup Consulting
>>http://www.dixongroup.net

Just my $0.02.

I've found the orinco cards to work just fine but the SMC Barricade's
wireless handling tends to crash if pushed by a single user or have more
than one user doing many transactions (downloading whilst browsing,
whatever).  This seems to be excabarated if there is a wireless XP
machine.  We've not seen the same problems with D-Link (like a rock!) or
Linksys wireless routers.

If you run wireless I'd at least enable WEP to stop casual users from
connecting to your network (unless you want them to that is).

Mike