which file manager you use?

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Thu Feb 5 16:34:29 UTC 2004

Mitch Wiedemann wrote:
> Will you xterm folks elaborate a bit?
>
> Why do you use xterms?
> How?
> Any specific tips or tricks you'd like to share?
>
> Robin Laing wrote:
>
>> Hal Burgiss wrote:

>>> Dualing xterms.
>>

>> xterms are my favorite.

Simple.

When moving, editing or changing files around, I open an xterm session
and 'cd' into the directory that I am working with.  Open another
xterm session and 'cd' into another directory.

ls gives me a listing and then I can do what I want.  Moving files
around is as easy as mv xxx.file to /location/.  Renaming files is as
easy as  mv  xxx.file yyy.file

It makes windows or new linux users shudder when they want some help
and I start by opening a terminal window to look at files and details.
  It is very fast to move files around when you don't have to click
and open many different directory views in a file manager.

With a some scripting, many more tools are created to manage files and
directories from an xterm window.  Much more than can explained on
this list.

One of my favorite is a perl script for renaming files.  It has the
ability to rename groups of files from a single command.

I have also changed my .bashrc and added
   alias rm='rm -i'
   alias cp='cp -i --backup=t'
   alias mv='mv -i --backup=t'
to assist in those accidental finger screwups.

Look at the man or info pages for each of the above commands.

--
Robin Laing
Instrumentation Technologist   Voice: 1.403.544.4762