Boot Disk

Michael Gargiullo mgargiullo at warpdrive.net
Thu Feb 5 19:43:41 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-02-05 at 13:38, Bevan C. Bennett wrote:
> Michael Gargiullo wrote:
> > How do I format a floppy to accept the over-sized fedora boot image?
> >
> > I've tried mkbootdisk --size 1400 --device /dev/fd0 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl
> >
> > But it's still creating an image thats too large
>
> In the images directory of your fedora distribution should be several files:
>
> bootdisk.img - floppy sized boot image
> drvnet.img - floppy sized image with extra network drivers
> drvblock.img - floppy sized image with extra block device drivers
> boot.iso - CD sized boot image with drivers included
>
> They can be found, for example, at
> ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/fedora/core/1/i386/os/images
>
> To put the boot image on a floppy:
> % dd if=bootdisk.img of=/dev/fd0 bs=1024

OK used dd to create 2 disks  one with bootdisk.img and one with
drvblock.img (for the scsi drivers).

The machine boots off the disks, but will only look for installation
media...it won't boot the installed OS on /dev/sda

I just need to boot the OS to be able to run grub-install  /dev/sda

--
Michael Gargiullo <mgargiullo at warpdrive.net>
Warp Drive Networks