KOffice vs. OpenOffice

Colin Charles linux at bytebot.net
Thu Feb 5 20:33:49 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-02-06 at 03:20, Gerrit wrote:

> are there people who have experience with both OpenOffice and KOffice,
> and prefer one over the other?

OOo, but I'm biased. KOffice btw, is making use of OOo OASIS XML file
formats as well.

> I use OpenOffice read-only (my colleagues use MS Word and I've got to
> read their documents, using Docbook or ReST myself), but find that
> tables and images are often misrepresented, while the fonts are *very*
> ugly. I have no need to write any documents, although I may want to make
> small changes and write it back to MS word format again.

Are they? I hope you're using a current (recent) version of OOo - 1.1.0
at least.

Tables and images tend to work; if they "break", submit a Issuezilla
request upstream. Fonts are ugly? Maybe you need to install some
"pretty" Windows fonts - visit http://corefonts.sf.net/

OOo writes almost perfectly to MS Word format(s).

Colin Charles, byte at aeon.com.my
http://www.bytebot.net/
http://fedoranews.org/colin/fnu/ - Fedora News Updates