which file manager you use?

Mike Lurk mike.lurk at sympatico.ca
Thu Feb 5 20:50:04 UTC 2004

Mitch Wiedemann wrote:
> Will you xterm folks elaborate a bit?
>
> Why do you use xterms?

Because we're old and cranky and dagnabbit it's the way we used to do
things back before there were mice.
We're sort of saying "I don't use a file manager".

> How?

cd, ls, mv, find, ...

> Any specific tips or tricks you'd like to share?

* Most modern shells like tcsh and bash have the greatest feature in the
world, auto-completion. Type the first few letters of a file, press
[tab], and the shell fills in the rest (as long as you've typed enough
to uniquely identify the file in question).

* rename all files named foo*.c to bar*.cc, in tcsh
foreach file (foo*.c)
 > mv $file `echo $file | sed -e 's/^foo/bar/' | sed -e 's/c$/cc/'`
 > end

* make all subdirectories under this directory that start with 'safe'
world executable:
% find . -type d -name 'safe*' -exec chmod o+x {} \;

Just like the old farts who preferred DOS over Windows, like me. Word
Perfect on one disk, DOS (3.2) on one disk and 10 meg hard drives. The
glory days of the PC.

Mike