Ode to the Shell (Was: which file manager you use?)

Bevan C. Bennett bevan at fulcrummicro.com
Fri Feb 6 00:28:48 UTC 2004

Charles Howse wrote:

> Thanks Hal.
> Geeez Louise, does that mean that I can't put my custom aliases in ~/.bashrc?

Not at all! That's just where the -default- aliases are.

> Do they now have to be in the format of /etc/profile.d/*?

If you have a package that wants/needs to change the default user
environment, it should do so in appropriate files under /etc/profile.d/

This allows cleaner installation and uninstallation of those changes
along with the package that created them.

Users should continure to modify their .bashrc and .profile as desired
to change their own per-user settings.

> No more  echo "alias x='logout'" >> ~/.bashrc?

Go for it. I alias x to 'exec ssh-agent startx', personally.