newbie PS1 config question

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Fri Feb 6 01:26:38 UTC 2004

Am Fr, den 06.02.2004 schrieb Ko Pu um 02:13:
> >1) be sure to not be in graphical mode:
> >init 3
> >now X server is off and you are on the text mode console
> >
> >2) change the entry HOSTNAME in /etc/sysconfig/network to what you like,
> >i.e. workstation or with FQDN workstation.home.lan
> >
> >3) edit /etc/hosts and modify the line with your private (LAN) IP to
> >something like:
> >192.168.0.5    workstation.home.lan    workstation
> >If you have a fix IP by your DSL provider the hosts file may reflect
> >that and you can add that to /etc/hosts too
> >
> >4) service network restart
> >
> >5) now your new hostname should be assigned, if unsure reboot
> >
> >6) init 5
> >you get back into graphical X server mode
>
> Thanks so much, it worked, two questions still not clear for me:
> 1) since my dsl provider uses dhcp, does it mean that everytime the ip
> address is changed by the provider, I have to make change to the etc/hosts
> file?

No :) That would be very uncomfortable at all. Anyway, it does not
matter how you call your station. It's name is not visible outside your
home on typical DSL connections with dynamic IP address.

> 2) you mentioned to use text mode (init 3), is it the same as using terminal
> in X Window?

No, it is not. I instructed you to change to init 3 because a running
graphical system (X server running) dislikes it heavily when you change
it's hostname during the session. It would hit you with several strange
error messages and even some programs will fail.

> Thanks in advance for your comment/suggestion
>
> Ko Fei Pu

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl
Sirendipity 02:23:16 up 6 days, 1:23, load average: 0.22, 0.11, 0.10
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]