What I recently did regarding software freedom.

J.B. Nicholson-Owens jbn at forestfield.org
Fri Feb 6 02:23:06 UTC 2004

Don Levey wrote:
> 1) Which card would this be?

ATI Radeon 9000 AGP in this case.

> 2) How does this help the person who already has the NVIDIA card, apart from
> getting them to spend another $60?

It shows them that they have to be careful about buying hardware to work
with XFree86.  $50 or $60 is not a big deal in computers but losing software
freedom is.  I can't convey the value of software freedom by telling people
to adopt non-free software.  A more easily used database of hardware (and a
simple database lookup program to run on Microsoft Windows and various free
software OSes) would help people not fall into the trap of obtaining
hardware they can't use on a particular free software system.

What you're doing is purposefully constructing a narrow situation and
rejecting any response that doesn't match your response.  You do this to
make people believe that your way is the only way to play these 3D games.  I
refuse to work within those silly boundaries.  I demonstrated that for a
rather low fee one can purchase a great deal of functionality without giving
up software freedom.