USB scanner recommendation?

Paul Pianta pantz at lqt.ca
Fri Feb 6 22:10:32 UTC 2004

Mitch Wiedemann wrote:

> I'm in the market for a new USB scanner.  Of course I'd like it to be
> easy to set up and to work flawlessly with FC1, Gimp, Sane, etc. Can
> anyone give me a recommendation about current models on the market?
>
> Thanks in advance.

i bought this baby -
(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00000J3FV/104-4316108-0041541?v=glance)
3 years ago for $99 CAN - and i over the years have tested it in each
new version of whatever flavour distro i had installed at the time. I
never had any luck getting a good quality scan (or so i thought ...)

this week i plugged it in again with fedora and fired up xsane - ran a
scan at 300dpi and got the same crappy quality image that i had always
got. Then a flash came to me - instead of just looking at the 'preview'
that xsane was showing me - i thought i would fire up gimp and check it
out. Lo and behold - the quality was incredible - it was perfectly
scanned and the resolution was great!!

My problem was that the 'preview' in xsane was displaying my image
'compressed' so that i could see it all at the same time on my screen.
This caused the quality to look really crappy and thus my assumption
that my scanner was not supported.

Anyhoo - after all that - i heartily recommend this cheapo scanner for
great quality scans that works out-of-the-box with fedora.

if you want a sample of what it can do - email me directly and i will
attach some demo scans for you to check out the quality ...

pantz

--
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes ...
That way when you do criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes!