telnet/ssh disconnects... Possible NAT teardown?

Mike Klinke lsomike at futzin.com
Sat Feb 7 08:21:27 UTC 2004

On Saturday 07 February 2004 00:28, Jeremy wrote:
> Ok, I'm at home now, and i tried telneting in from another computer
> on the network....   It works fine.  No disconnects.
>
> I'm using Road-Runner (Cable modem) to connect to the internet, the
> linux PC in question is the router (2 NIC cards, one to cable
> modem, other to LAN).
>
> Is it possible the cable modem is the cause?  I don't understand
> what could be wrong.
>
> -Jeremy

I don't know what kind of equipment you have either at home or work
but it seems there are some routers that will give you the exact
symptoms you are seeing.  For example, here is a conversation I ran
accross where someone else is having what seems to be the same
problem as you:

Regards,  Mike Klinke

============Begin of Original Message ============

I have just connected my new DI-764.

All seems fine, except my SSH sessions now get disconnected after 10
or so minutes of inactivity (SSH is like an encrypted version of
Telnet)

Prior to using the DI-764, I was using a switch connected to a PC
running windows 2000 'internet connection sharing' and had no
problems (idle sessions
never timed out).