RedHat, Fedora future?

Peter Boy pboy at barkhof.uni-bremen.de
Sat Feb 7 11:02:48 UTC 2004

Am Fr, den 06.02.2004 schrieb John Meagher um 15:19:
> I agree with Tim.  I have been (I thought) more in tune with all this
> than the
> average consumer and it came as a complete surprise to me that Red Hat
> was going to continue to have product on the shelf at Micro Center and
> Amazon.  [ .........]

Your concerns are mainly about marketing and business strategy, whereas
the original post was about the product quality and is usefullness for
the desktop usage.

Regarding marketing you may be right. RH is (was?) going to kick
themselves out of the SMB market. RHPW might be a attempt to correct it
- not a very smart one. The offerings of others like SuSE are much more
appealing (but unfortunately their distro itself is not).

> If you have a shrink wrapped product and the customer wants to buy
> support, why not sell it?
Well, if you sell support, you must have or get the resources to fulfill
your support obligations.

Peter