File Descriptor Limits.

Christophe Le Guern christophe at le-guern.net
Sat Feb 7 17:01:13 UTC 2004

On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 15:56:52 +0000
WipeOut <wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> Hi Christophe,
>
> So are you saying that the 64 file descriptors is still an issue in FC
> and other modern Linux distros?

No, the default limit for FC1 is 1024 I think (soft limit).
you can change values in /etc/security/limits.conf

> Can you explain how the single logfile system works, I understand that
> all the virtual servers will log to one file..

Exactly, you must change LogFormat in httpd.conf :

LogFormat "%v %h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b" vhost
CustomLog logs/multiple_vhost_log vhost

> Then I have to use a utility to seperate the single log file to seperate
> the single file to seperate log files..

split-logfile in apache sources (in ./httpd-2.0.48/support)
just type ./configure make and copy split-logfile where you want
it's a perl script

> Where do you get the utility to split the logfiles?? The split-logfile
> as mentioned on the apache site does not appear to be installed with
> apache on FC or RH..
>
> When the files get split do they over write the previous one?

No, it takes the ONE log file and split it into separate files.
Look at http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/programs/other.html#split-logfile

> How do you handle log rotation?

You can do that by a cron job every day.

Christophe