GRUB corrupts when restore it from image

Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha strange at nsk.no-ip.org
Sat Feb 7 21:22:12 UTC 2004

On Sun, Feb 08, 2004 at 01:03:12PM -0400, Barry Yu wrote:
> I used ghost to make an image out of  entire partition of FC1, when I
> used this image to restore back to the original partition, GRUB always
> freezes when booting up, and I have to use the FC1 CD to boot into
> rescue mode and mount into system shell, issue "grub-install /dev/hda7".
> Is ther any way to overcome this imperfection?

I suspect ghost isn't putting the restored files on the same blocks, so the
part of grub that loads the rest of it can't find it or loads garbage.

That's a problem in ghost. You could try to save the image "raw", but it
would result in a bigger image. So you could have a /boot partition and have
only that partition imaged as raw.

Regards,
Luciano Rocha