Security updates are too slow or none existant

Steve Bergman steve at rueb.com
Sun Feb 8 03:30:12 UTC 2004

The way I see it is this.  Despite much misinformation floating around,
RedHat has always been a great member of the community.  RedHat is also
getting pretty business savvy.  They are also more concerned about the
reputation of their trademark than any other pure play Linux company I
can think of.

It is in their best interest to see that Fedora gets prompt security
updates.  Fedora is called a project not a product, but it is
psychologically and in a very real way, very closely bound to the RedHat
name.  So if Fedora comes to be mentioned in the news as having
significant security problems, that will reflect on the RedHat name as
well.  Right or wrong.

More generally, RedHat's success in the enterprise is riding to a
significant extent upon the security reputation of Linux in general.  If
DoorKnob Linux releases an insecure distro and gets negative press for
it, it hurts RedHat.

RedHat is also far from perfect.  They've made plenty of mistakes.  But
for the most part those mistakes get corrected (eventually).  I'm not
saying yea or nay as to whether I think that there is a problem to
correct in this case.  But I think RedHat understands that if a rising
tide lifts all boats, then a falling tide lowers them.

-Steve