Netgear FVS318 router failing to connect to apache port 80

Brooks Kelley bk at kelleyhousehold.com
Sun Feb 8 15:53:29 UTC 2004

Jeff,

The problem was solved! It just took me a week to solve it.

BTW, Jeff, your question was very valid. The log files were telling me
that the pages were being properly requested and ethereal was telling me
that the router was sending them along to the LAN from the WAN. Which is
why I was baffled.

But, I solved the problem quite by accident. It turned out to be the MTU
setting on the router. I contacted the ISP ( sbc DSL ) and got the
proper settings and bam, Port 80 started to work perfectly. Apparently,
Apache is quite fickle when it comes to packets and how they look.

Netgear FVS318 sets the MTU too low for sbcglobal.com's DSL. Which means
the packets were barely getting fragged. Their default MTU is, I
believe, 1472. SBC requires 1492 ( wonder if the owner is named Columbus
).

So the lesson is, contact your ISP and get your broadband MTU settings
corrected if you have port 80 reception problems.

Thanks for helping,

Brooks Kelley
Linux+ Certified, A+ Certified