Help with cdrecord

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Feb 9 04:13:36 UTC 2004

Andrew Robinson wrote:

> I'm trying to teach myself how to use mkisofs and cdrecord. I'm a
> little ahead on mkisofs, though that is like saying my verbals skills
> are better than my math skills because I can say "Ma Ma" but I cannot
> add 2+2.
>
> Anyway, I wrote a script that uses mkisofs to create an iso of mp3
> files from an m3u play list. The size of the iso file is 747200512
> bytes. When I try burning it with gnome toaster, it refuses because it
> says the track is too large. The CDR is supposed to hold 700 MB, which
> according to my calculator equates to 786432000 bytes. So either there
> is overhead in burning the iso to disk or the CDR maker is figuring
> megabytes the way hard disk manufacturers do.
>
> My question is this. Is there a way to determine exactly how large an
> iso file a CDR will hold? I looked at the man page for cdrecord and
> found options that will tell me about the recorder, but not the media.
> But I'm pretty sure Nero and Toast on other OS's will tell me how much
> space is available on the CDR.

There is overhead involved.

I use a backup program to create ISO images to restore my system in case
of a bad crash.
The largest iso I can create must fit on a 700mb CD.  Xcdroast on my
system says that a track containing 699mb of data in an ISO image is
733413376 bytes ( = 716224 kb = 699.4375 mb) in size.
Your file is just a little larger than that.

BTW, my calculator tells me that 700mb (700 * 1024 * 1024 ) =
734,003,200  bytes.