Help with cdrecord

Andrew Robinson awrobinson at cox.net
Mon Feb 9 05:36:58 UTC 2004

Mads V. Pedersen wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> Andrew Robinson wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to teach myself how to use mkisofs and cdrecord. I'm a
>> little ahead on mkisofs, though that is like saying my verbals skills
>> are better than my math skills because I can say "Ma Ma" but I cannot
>> add 2+2.
>>
>> Anyway, I wrote a script that uses mkisofs to create an iso of mp3
>> files from an m3u play list. The size of the iso file is 747200512
>> bytes. When I try burning it with gnome toaster, it refuses because
>> it says the track is too large. The CDR is supposed to hold 700 MB,
>> which according to my calculator equates to 786432000 bytes. So
>> either there is overhead in burning the iso to disk or the CDR maker
>> is figuring megabytes the way hard disk manufacturers do.
>

> Hmmm.... Maybe the problem is with your calculator. I get:
>
> $ dc
> 1024 1024 * 700 * p
> 734003200

I'd like to point back to the first paragraph where I wrote of my verbal
skills. The truth is I've got a degree in physics, though that was 25
years ago. I don't know how I screwed the calculation, but obviously I
did ;).

>> My question is this. Is there a way to determine exactly how large an
>> iso file a CDR will hold? I looked at the man page for cdrecord and
>> found options that will tell me about the recorder, but not the
>> media. But I'm pretty sure Nero and Toast on other OS's will tell me
>> how much space is available on the CDR.
>

> check the -atip option of cdrecord.

I've copied the output of  'cdrecord dev=2,0,0 -atip'  below. There is a
blank CDR in the drive. I don't see where it is telling me how much
space is available on the disc. Can you help me some more?

Thanks!

Andrew

Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a19 (i686-redhat-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2003
Jörg Schilling
Using libscg version 'schily-0.7'
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 2
Capabilities   :
Vendor_info    : 'LITE-ON '
Identifikation : 'LTR-52246S      '
Revision       : '6S0C'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc CD-RW.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc   CD-R/CD-RW driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags   : MMC-3 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE FORCESPEED
Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R RAW/R16 RAW/R96P RAW/R96R
ATIP info from disk:
  Indicated writing power: 5
  Is not unrestricted
  Is not erasable
  Disk sub type: Medium Type A, high Beta category (A+) (3)
  ATIP start of lead in:  -11634 (97:26/66)
  ATIP start of lead out: 359848 (79:59/73)
Disk type:    Short strategy type (Phthalocyanine or similar)
Manuf. index: 3
Manufacturer: CMC Magnetics Corporation