Make install Problems

Adam Cooper adam.cooper at port.ac.uk
Mon Feb 9 13:01:11 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-02-09 at 12:05, Ben Stringer wrote:

> The problem reported is that the "make install" is unable to create a
> symbolic link (like a shortcut) in the /usr/local/bin directory - this
> may also occur if the filesystem containing /usr/local/bin was mounted
> readonly (unlikely) or out of space. The "mount" and "df" commands
> (respectively) will show you if either of these problems exist.
>

> > Thank you for any help.
>
> No problems - hope this helps.
>
> Cheers, Ben

Ok the problem now seems pretty severe. As Root (not su but logging in
as) I am unable to write to /usr/local/bin. In /etc/fstab it's mounted
(/usr/local is on it's own partition) as "defaults".

How can i get access to this space. The permissions of the files are
-rwxr-xr-x (755). The exact message is "Operation not permitted"