Fedora Core release 1.90 (FC2 Test 1) questions

Brian Millett bpm at ec-group.com
Mon Feb 9 15:57:10 UTC 2004

Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Brian Millett (bpm at ec-group.com) said:
>
>>I've taken the plunge and updated from core 1 to Fedora Core release
>>1.90 (FC2 Test 1).  Some nose bleeding has taken place, but so far OK.
>>I do have some questions and observations:
>>
>>1) Is there a list just for bleeding-edge junkies?
>

> fedora-devel-list at redhat.com

Thanks, I'll subscribe.

>>3) usb hotplug does not seem to be working.  If I tail /var/log/messages
>>and insert a usb device, I get nothing in the log file.  It is as if the
>>hotplug is not fireing at all.  Any ideas on this?
>

> Is your host controller driver loaded?

Ok, bear with me on this one.  The device is a usb flashdrive.  It was
working before I updated.  This is what I have with lsmod:
shaka: lsmod | egrep "uhci|usb|ohci"
usb_storage            70208  0
ohci1394               46084  0
ieee1394              298288  1 ohci1394
scsi_mod              134712  3 sd_mod,usb_storage,sg
uhci_hcd               46480  0
ohci_hcd               25984  0
usbcore               130268  6 usb_storage,hid,uhci_hcd,ohci_hcd

Should I be looking at a different driver than usb_storage?

>>4) The nice little option of using "netprofile=X" on the grub command
>>line is of course broke because the conversion from the
>>redhat-config-<scripts> to python 2.3 has not happened.  Are those being
>>phased into system-config-<scripts>?
>

> Please file a bug.
Ok, is that for "Fedora Unstable"?

>>5) Upgrading broke the yum.conf, well if you use the $releasever
>>variable.  There is not a directory "/core/1.9/i386", just "/core/1/i386"
>

> Check the yum.conf.rpmnew.... for the devel release, point it at
> rawhide.

Ok, this is what I am using:
[development]
name=Fedora Core 2 development
baseurl=http://ftp.dulug.duke.edu/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/$basearch
    http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/core/development/$basearch
    http://redhat.secsup.org/fedora/core/development/$basearch
gpgcheck=1

thanks for the quick response.

--
Brian Millett
Enterprise Consulting Group     "Shifts in paradigms