Network Setup

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Mon Feb 9 17:33:55 UTC 2004

Am Mo, den 09.02.2004 schrieb Bill Spears um 18:21:
> On Mon, 2004-02-09 at 08:32, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> > Am Mo, den 09.02.2004 schrieb Bill Spears um 16:39:
> > > On a new install, on a laptop, when trying to use the red hat network
> > > configuration tool, I get the error, "Static routes file eth0 is
> > > invalid."  It turned out that IP addr. was ok, but netmask, broadcast
> > > and gateway were wrong.  I munged around in network and network-scripts
> > > (/etc/sysconfig) and got it to the point where if I restart network
> > > services, everything except gateway is ok. It comes up with 0.0.0.0,
> > > which is not very useful. I can fix it with "route", but I'd like it to
> > > work correctly.
> > >
> > > I don't know if this matters or is even unusual, but when the system is
> > > booting, it fails to bring up eth0 and states that it will bring it up
> > > later.  eth0 is being brought up.
> > >
> > > Is there some particular file known as "the static routes file"?
> > > Ideas?
> >
> > What is the content of following files:
> >
> > a) /etc/sysconfig/network
> > b) /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
> > c) /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/route-eth0 (if you have such a file)
> >
> > Alexander

> Alexander, here is the information you requested:
>

> /etc/sysconfig/network:
>
> NETWORKING=4=yes

Mistyped in the line above? Must be: NETWORKING=yes

> HOSTNAME=mercury.spears.org
> GATEWAY="10.0.1.4"
> GATEWAYDEV=eth0
> FORWARD_IPV=yes

Also mistyped above? Must be: FORWARD_IPV4=yes

> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:
>
> DEVICE=eth0
> BOOTPROTO=none
> BROADCAST=10.0.1.255
> IPADDR=10.0.1.16
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> NETWORK=10.0.1.1

NETWORK=10.0.1.0

> ONBOOT=yes
> TYPE=Ethernet
> USERCTL=no
> PEERDNS=yes
> GATEWAY=10.0.1.4
> HWADDR=00:80:c7:99:be:8c
>

> /etc/sysconfig/nework-scripts/route-eth0:
> GATEWAY0=10.0.1.4
> NETMASK0=255.255.255.0

For which reason did you set this static route? You have set default
route to go through eth0 to IP 10.0.1.4. This static route setting is
unnecessary. Better delete the route-eth0 file.

After setting your network files correctly and restarted the network you
can check your routes with "route -n".

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl
Sirendipity 18:27:37 up 21:10, 7 users, 1.00, 1.06, 1.09
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]