Speedtouch 330 broadband modem with BT Yahoo in UK

Tomasz Jaszkin t.jaszkin at btinternet.com
Tue Feb 10 06:09:37 UTC 2004

Hi

I do indeed have a silver version of the 330 modem.

I tried installing the drivers, but it appears to me at least, that
something hasn't worked.

The modem_run command just pauses for a while and after I do "pppd call
adsl", and check it with "ifconfig ppp0" or "ifconfig -a", there is
information there for ppp0 that was not present prior.

I'm unsure of what I might be doing wrong or where in the process things are
not working.  Pressing Ctrl+Alt+F8 shows some error message relating to
"speedtch" and I've seen that mentioned here:

http://www.mail-archive.com/speedtouch@ml.free.fr/msg05557.html

I'm unsure if I should disable this also.  I also don't know if any of the
things I tried with the Speedbundle earlier are now interfering with
attempting these new drivers.

Unplugging and plugging the modem back in, it doesn't look as if it is
starting up the way I see it in Windows XP.  Normally the lights would flash
for a few seconds but here both lights seem to be constantly lit upon
plugging the modem back in.

Is there a simple way to remove all that I have done without a re-install?
I don't mind doing a re-install as I haven't set anything else up yet in
Fedora, trying to get the modem to work being the main thing.

Is there anyone here who has specifically managed to get this working on BT
Yahoo broadband with the Revision 4 Silver modem?

I will probably go ahead and do a re-install of FC1 since I have nothing to
lose and try the procedure as decribed at
http://www.nemohackers.org/speedtouch.php

If I knew exactly what was happening, I could probably provide more
information.  Apologies for my newbie status!

Cheers,
Tomasz